Saturday 12 April 2014

CryEngine: Woooooooo; CryMono Documentation: Not so Woooooo

I have deserted my engine programming efforts and switched to the almighty CryEngine. 

I'm still very much in it for the programming though. So as a good newbie, I went around the internet looking for tutorials and other useful learning resources. In doing so I stumbled over a book made by an old friend of mine (if you're reading this, Carto, hellooooo): 

So yeah, the book is called: CRYENGINE Game Programming  with C++, C# and Lua



I've read chapter 1 and it looks good to me.

Chapter 1, I hear you ask? Well that's because CryMono, the scripting module the book uses with CryEngine, has been a royal pain in the butt to implement. It's taken me over a week to find several (rather miniscule) errors that prevented CryMono from compiling.

And it's not just been me. I've seen posts describing similar issues pop up multiple times on the CryDev forums, usually with some mentioning of the book. Some of the issues were due to the tech itself, however some issues were due to missing instructions in the book.

They're small instructions and easy to fix if you know where to look. But if you're a newbie programmer and haven't seen a linker error in your entire life, you'll be having to forage the internet's massive information repository.

Luckily, CryDev member ivanhawkes has listed the missing instructions in his topic.

So yeah, lot's of effort for what you'd think would all be explained well in the book. Which is a shame.

I might make a post just for the integration of CryMono into a project which will draw from the book and the findings from CryDev. Which should make for some easier reading and implementation.

No comments:

Post a Comment